McColgan’s Quality Food, Strabane
McColgan’s Quality Foods produces high quality food products, mainly for retail sale to the main UK and Irish supermarkets and, as such, has to adhere rigidly to the food production standards required. During the contract works the production in the factory remained at full output levels.
The project was carefully planned by the client, design team and the contractors to ensure that the existing ultra clean, very high standards of food safety were maintained for the duration of the project.
The complete project works were completed in multiple phases over a 4 year period.
- New build construction of a cold storage area and chilled storage area.
- Provision of a new product development laboratory and a test kitchen.
From a services perspective this was a challenging project, involving complex and critical engineering services which if interrupted would have had major consequences for the functional operation of the factory.
These systems were also used to reduce the air temperature in the vicinity of the ovens where cooked product are removed from the ovens and allowed to stand before being packed and placed into storage.
The electrical services installation included:
- An extension to the existing high voltage installation including new HV cabling from existing HV switchgear, the installation of a new HV transformer.
- A CCTV installation and a site wide data cabling installation including Wi-Fi.
- Temporary standby generator if one is required in future.
- All cabling for LV (general power) and ELV systems (fire alarm, data, controls cabling)
The mechanical services installation included:
- A new low pressure hot water heating system for new staff changing areas supplied by a new gas fired boiler system
- New compressed air distribution installation to production equipment, new plumbing installation to the staff changing areas and within the reconfigured production areas
- New ventilation plant for the factory production areas.
- The ventilation systems involving supply air and extract air for the production areas were designed with specialist filters to ensure that no foreign bodies (dirt / insects) could enter the food production areas and contaminate the product.
|Architect||Mullarkey Pedersen Architects|
|Duration||Multiple phases over a 4 year period|
We would wholeheartedly recommend them to any client